RN7529 – Legal Issues for the Safety Officer
Welcome to Legal Issues for the Safety Officer!
RN7529 – Legal Issues for the Safety Officer Course Description
This online course will meet the JPR’s of NFPA 1521 Standard on Fire Department Safety Officer Professional Qualifications. After completing this course, the student will be able to identify the applicable Florida statutes and rules pertaining to safety and line-of-duty-deaths (LODDs), explain the basic concepts of the Florida legal system, the components and procedures regarding the conduct of an investigation, possess an understanding on current litigation trends and the concepts of unsafe operations.
The required reading for this course will be provided to you at the beginning of each Module.
Course Navigation and Browsing
To assist with navigating through this course, please read the outlined list below:
1. Located in the “upper” right-hand portion of your screen, you will notice your [LOG OUT] and [FIRST+LAST NAME] buttons.
a. Please remember to logout of the course each time you exit the course.
2. Immediately below the buttons listed in #1, you will notice your Course “Timer”; counting “up” or towards the minimum 45-hours of contact time required for this course.
a. You will not be able to complete this course until the time reads 45 Hours, even if you have completed all of the required coursework.
3. Below your “Course Timer”, you will notice a Course “Completion” Bar. The Completion Bar measures your “overall” completion status as you continue to advance through the course.
4. The Course Curriculum Navigation Table is located in the right side of your screen. You will notice that you are currently in the INTRODUCTION MODULE. Additionally, you can see that a “blue” dot is highlighted next to RN7529 – WELCOME.
a. The “blue” dot represents the Unit you are in. So, right now – You are in RN7529 – WELCOME Unit.
b. Each Module beginning with Module 1 is listed in descending order. You can use your scroll bar located on the outer-most portion of your screen to navigate up and down on each page.
c. If you click on the + symbol, it will expand the selected Module.
5. As you scroll down on this page, you will notice that the Course Syllabus is embedded in the web page.
a. You are able to scroll up and down through the Syllabus in the web page.
b. If you need to make the syllabus larger, simply click on the magnifying glass located in the upper right-hand section of the document.
c. Next to the magnifying glass, you will notice a “pop out” button. To export the Syllabus into a Google Doc, simply click on the pop out button and the document will open up in a new tab.
d. Here, you can download the Syllabus to your computer and print it for your records (highly recommended).
6. To advance to the next Unit in this Module, click on the “MARK THIS UNIT COMPLETE” button located at the bottom of your screen.
a. After clicking the button, you will see a checkmark, notifying you that you have completed this Unit.
b. Additionally, your blue dot will change to a green “checkmark” in your Curriculum Table.
7. Once you have read the Syllabus and are ready to measure your understanding of its contents, simply click on the button “PROCEED TO QUIZ”, located on the bottom right-hand side of your computer screen.
8. Click on the START QUIZ button to begin your quiz.
a. Please make sure you select “SAVE” each time you answer a question.
9. Continuing following the guidance of each Unit as you advance through the course.
If you should require any technical assistance or have trouble with course navigation, please contact your Instructor immediately. All Instructor contact information is located in your Course Syllabus.
** Quality Matter Certified **
Please take some time to navigate through the Course Syllabus and check to see if your computer software and hardware meet the following minimum requirements: Pentium or greater processor (XP, Vista, Windows 7 or greater recommended) or, Macintosh Power G3 Processor or greater. You should have a reliable high-speed Internet (DSL, Cable Modem), reliable printer, speakers or headphones. You will be required to use Microsoft (2010 or newer) Word, Power Point, and Excel. In general, you should have one of the following internet browsers:
• Internet 7.0 (minimum)
• Firefox (Mozilla) 1.5 (minimum)
• Google Chrome 8.0 (minimum) *recommended*
As a reminder, you will be required to complete all of the Units in each Module before completing this course; as well as, 45 hours of documented course contact time. Each student must achieve a minimum overall score of 70% to pass this class. As always, please contact your Instructor if you need any additional information.
Matthew C. Trent, MPA, FO, MIFireE